Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Row Row Row your boat......

As we were in service today we found the cutest kitten sleeping. It made us miss our little kittens back home - So Gabriela if you are reading this give our babies big hugs and kisses.
 
 
This was the territory we were in today, these homes are not on roads but rather alley ways. It was attached to the territory we worked in the other day where it kind of feels like there country territory.

We all had some really nice conversations here. Lisa met a woman who is Dominican/Haitian. She speaks both languages but Lisa thought it a good opportunity to use the Creol that she has learned. So Lisa's Creol is amazing, if my Spanish was half as good as her Creol I would be amazing!!!
  
I talked to a young girl and during my presentation I asked if she had a bible in her home, which usually everyone does. however she said no. I explained that my friend and I would return and discuss the scriptures with her and her question was "when will you return, mornings are best for me?"
WOW!!  
So Lisa and I will be going to see her again on Friday.Most days in service Gray and I feel like we are talking with a bunch of marbles in our mouths, and with a vocabulary that a two year old would laugh at! But the thing that makes us get up again and preach is that the people we talk to really want to learn about the bible. Everyone will patiently wait to hear what we have to say which encourages us to use what little we do know.
Here the service group is walking to some of the houses in the territory.....you can see that there are no roads to get into these homes so they all ride motorbikes or walk.
 What a great looking service group!! Of course Gray the sun worshiper refuses to carry an umbrella, but are we surprised???  No!! He is trying to get as much color as possible, he knows Linda (my sister) will tease us that her tan was darker when she went to Cuba.
 
So this is a really interesting story, this boat is used by Dominicans to try to escape to Puerto Rico. So 25 people will squeeze into this very poorly made vessel. Most Dominican's do not know how to swim yet they will attempt to go across the ocean in this. Jaoquin has said that they use concrete to fill in the holes and cracks to seal the boat before there voyage to Puerto Rico. You can imagine not many make it, but for those who do they can easily get to the USA which is where everyone thinks has the greener grass.
Chris and Lisa said that a boat slightly bigger than this carrying 50 something people (the numbers maybe off, I hadn't time to check the exact amount) was recently on the news because just 2 KM's away from Dominican the floor of the boat came off and 40 people drowned and only the others managed to swim back to shore. We can see how hard life is here, but I wonder why people want to risk there life for something they don't even know will bring them happiness.  The brother's here have just as little as everyone, sometimes less, yet they are among the happiest people I have ever met!!!

And for Gray and I, we have a lot to learn from them, with regards to the things we own.....sometimes we think we need something but life "does not result from the things he possesses" Luke 12:15

 We have made some really nice friends here, and we cant believe that it is only a week left.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment