Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

'Meat?...you don't eat no meat?'

We went in service Friday morning to visit some of our new return visits. We have made some really great calls. The territory is exactly how we remember, its so nice to get to use what little Spanish we know and help others learn what is really in the bible.

Because you visit your calls you usually just go in pairs. So Gray and I set out to try to find our return visits. It was hilarious, if you remember there are no street signs and to us at the moment everything looks the same. We figured that if we wonder around it will help us figure it all out. We took a few wrong turns but we managed to locate all the houses we were looking for. We were most impressed by ourselves.


Some of the interesting things we see along the way!



I have started a bible study with a young mother, her name is Yanni....(Yannara you won't believe it!)
We have had a couple other great calls, we just hope that our spanish can keep up with all the questions.






So Friday afternoon we headed out to do Not at Homes. This was a few of us at the group.
Bonnie is sitting on her motorcycle, she convinced me to ride it with her!!! I am completely shocked that I was brave enough to get on the bike in the first place, especially seeing that I was wearing a skirt.
But it was an adventure!







Gray went with a young brother from our congregation on a bible study. The man is a goat farmer, and he had 6 goats that he owned. The man explained that his goats were stolen. And they are his means of a living. This has happened before, and he knows it may happen again. The world is full of injustice right now, but the man is happy to know that the bible speaks of a better future. These are the goats he had left over, these were the babies.




In the middle of town there is a large park. Inside the park there is a huge cement iguana. This iguana has a fence around it........

and we were standing in the park and asked 'why would they fence in a cement iguana?'
Our friends brought us over to look inside...and there was 3 rather large, rather alive iguana's!!!





 Here is one of the 3 iguana's........I am glad there is a fence around them. I don't think I would like to see these in my neighborhood.

Our friend Bonnie, told us that iguana's are good to eat she said they taste like chicken LOL....I wasn't sure if she was joking or telling us the truth but I am sure glad that everyone knows we are not eating meat!




We wanted to show you all the meat market. Its on the main street of town and open in the mornings until they sell out of there meat.

As you can see, they mix the different kinds, and they just cut it in random pieces. The boards that the meat is on, I am sure have never ever been bleached or disinfected because you can smell it from some distance.
Even though the meat is a little scary, there is many other things to have. There are fresh vegetables, fruit and eggs. We have beans and rice and pasta. I made my very own re-fried beans and they tasted pretty good!
We have oatmeal, and yogurt and cereal (you can even get coco puffs here!)
I think we are eating healthier here, everything is fresh. We have found other things to have, like fish and canned tuna and sardines....they actually aren't that bad. I love All Recipes.com, you can type in any ingredient and get a great meal idea. I never knew sardines could have so many options.

Gray and I are really comfortable in our house, we are getting the hang of everything. And in a few weeks when we travel to the capital we will be picking up some of the items that we need. We have been making a list and are heading to Ikea to pick them up.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad everything is alright we miss you back home . I am so use to seeing you at the assembly I miss you so much. I was looking you keep writing about Dominican I read every one. From Karenita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen, We miss you guys as well. You would love it here Karenita, the service is so much fun, and there are many young girls exactly your age. So you need to start saving in your piggy bank so that you can come and visit us!

      Delete
    2. I want to see you guys after you said bye I cried so much you have no idea miss you see you soon Karenita

      Delete